Friday, November 14, 2014

My take on Fences

Set in the late 1950s in an poor black neighborhood, Fences is a poignant account of broken families, poverty and blackness.  A recurring theme in the play is that of boundaries (or, eponymously, fences).  The characters in the play are corralled into socioeconomic, racist and matrimonial/familial fences.  There is a sense that the characters are being 'held back' by real or perceived borders, and the act of defying these limitations and becoming something more is a powerful element of the story.

I have plenty of 'fences' in my life.  I have an intimate knowledge of how it feels to be restricted, abridged and censored.  I attend a school that provides every student with an incredibly powerful computing machine, and I'm forced to use it as a glorified typewriter.  The fences put around my ability to interact with the digital world are very real and very painful to me.  I constantly feel the presence of Big Brother watching my shoulder making damn sure what I do doesn't violate the precious Acceptable Use Policy.

My preferred topics of discussion are also fenced in.  It's taboo to discuss religion and politics in most scenarios, especially in Utah.  When I talk about what I really want to talk about, I alienate and upset people.  My classmates simply don't want to discuss fractals and the implications of the singularity.  I'm so excited about new discoveries in outer space and on our own planet, but most people would prefer to discuss the weather or who's going out with who.  I'm tired of being fenced in.

My parents love to build fences around me.  They have a very narrow and specific notion of success and will accept nothing less from me.  What if I don't want to go to an Ivy league school and slave away at school, studying concepts that I'll promptly forget after I take the test?  I'd vastly prefer to go 'do my own thing'.  I wish I could spend every night programming and researching and every day skiing and socializing, but my reality is studying and pleasing my parents.  I'm getting pretty sick of it, but at least I get to move out soon.

Speaking of moving out, I'm chomping at the bit to fully experience the fabled 'coming of age' everyone's always talking about.  I recently turned 18 and I can't wait to burn my childhood fences down.  So many things I couldn't do before are available to me now.  I can open my own bank account and sign my own lease.  I already started my own company, and I'm ready to pour my heart and soul into that venture.  I can't wait to see what the world looks like beyond my fence.

The play Fences really resonated with me.  I never understood the boundaries that a young black man might face in the late 50s, but I really empathized with Cory (a protagonist in the play) and his broken relationship with his father.  As a privileged white male I'm no stranger to struggle (ha ha), but I never knew what life could be like for a poor black family in that time.  I'm glad I read Fences and feel more knowledgable and worldly for the experience.  I would highly recommend reading this play to anyone willing to listen to my recommendation.

No comments:

Post a Comment